Friday, May 17, 2013

in the bag: an ode to the vintage purse

Dior suede handbag, ca. 1947

textured linen box purse, ca. 1980s
Edwardian beaded fringe purse, ca. 1900s

red vinyl handbag, ca. 1960s

colorblock purse, ca. 1950s


tortoise lucite box purse, ca. 1950s

It wouldn't be hyperbolic to say that I began selling vintage because I had a purse addiction. Indeed, that's how it started - all of those thrifted, gifted, and inherited beauties began to overwhelm my modest apartment, and became the first items I sold on bitter root vintage.

Don't get me wrong, I still have way too many; they're often an affordable (and functional) way to spruce up one's ensemble! But, according to this History of Handbags article, they also held a good deal of gravitas, signifying power and status, for instance.

To see more vintage purses, check out our Pinterest board!

No comments: